In our northern location, one of the few birds that sticks around are cardinals. In the past week, despite the 10 degree F temperatures, I have heard Mr. Cardinal singing. I think he was singing “Baby It’s Cold Outside.” Works on the ladies every time!
The other sign of spring was I caught Mr. Saver looking out of the sunroom window at his raised garden beds, with thoughts of “doing something different” out there this year.
We decided that when we work through our budget this Saturday night we will take a good look about whether our finances are ready for spring as well.
Areas where our budget is ready for spring, and beyond:
- We have summer vacation expenses covered
- We have kid’s summer activities and camps covered
Areas that need attention soon:
- We have a wedding to attend and need to set aside some gift money for that
- We have no money set aside for gardening, and it is always more than we expect
- We have no money set aside for Mom/Daughter summer fun. This is to cover things like going to a local summer festival, American Girl sales, rummages, lunch out, taking a friend to the movies.
- May need to revisit the clothing budgets and see if they are ready for spring
It has been so cold this week that we have barely spent any money from our weekly budget other than buying fruits and veggies, and a few gallons of gas until I got too cold waiting for the tank to fill! We will re-route our weekly money towards some of these happy spring expenses.