It’s Memorial Day weekend here in the US — a time to remember those who gave everything for our country. Memorial Day is also the “unofficial” start of summer, when it just seems right to be planting some annuals, cooking out, and maybe taking advantage of the low prices on hot dogs and ketchup! We did a little of all of those things this weekend.
Memorial Day weekend has some of the best prices all year on charcoal, hot dogs, condiments, chips, and some types of alcohol. This week I found:
- Oscar Meyer turkey select hot dogs for .99 and used a .55 off coupon
- Dunkin Donuts coffee (my preferred) 5.99 at CVS plus a loadable coupon for 2.00 off a coffee or tea purchase
- Canned pineapple 1.00 at CVS, plus a loadable coupon for 1.25 off canned fruit plus a .75/2 Dole coupon = 2 for free
- Received eggs, cheese, Prosecco and summer Shandy from a friend headed out of town.
- Gratefully took advantage of free babysitting when our daughter was at a friends’s house and went to a fancy dinner with a $25.00 coupon my husband received for his birthday.
The week ahead is jam packed with recital rehearsal, a party (my women’s Bible study finished our Beth Moore “Entrusted” study of 2 Timothy!), and a few appointments. I have really been trying to figure out a meal plan that would work. I came up with Crock pot sweet and sour meatballs from Six Sisters Stuff, which is a tried and true recipe. I’m concocting a pasta bake using up some pesto, some spaghetti sauce in the freezer, the free cheese, and a lone chicken patty that is taking up too much room in my freezer. Another choice is eggs or a quiche (eggs, free cheese, and some bacon in freezer).
- cleaned the refrigerator
- cleaned the basement bathroom – I love to clean the granite sink with a microfiber damp with a touch of Dr Bronner’s castile soap
- enlisted daughter to go through some of last years school stuff. Found colored pencils that can be used next year. I’ll have her sharpen them and bag them up…good to go.
One of the best things in summer is laying in our sunroom on the love seat, gentle breezes coming through the windows, napping or just watching the leaves blowing in the massive oak tree.
My other indulgence for relaxation is the “fireplace channel” on Amazon (free with Prime). DH turns my digital fireplace on every night before bed.
How was your Memorial Day or bank holiday (UK) weekend?