I knew something was up with the American Girl Warehouse Sale because suddenly my blog was getting heaps of searches about the Wilmot Warehouse Sale. I was shocked to find that the sale is running right now – about 2 months earlier than last year.
You can read about our odyssey to the Wilmot Warehouse sale last year here. To tell you the truth I had to go back and re-read my blog post to give myself a reality check about what the sale is really like! My first instinct was to skip it this year. We just got out of school today! The other half of me said, “You won’t be going to this sale forever. Carpe Diem!”
So, we are gearing up to go tomorrow morning, which will be day 2 of the sale. I called the Mattel outlet store which is on the grounds of the American Girl sale and the clerk confirmed that people have been camping out in tents for two days prior to the sale starting today! These are the Ebay-ers who make a living reselling the items. People arrive with uHaul trucks from all over the midwest. No kidding!
Here’s how to prepare for the sale:
- Leave husbands and small children at home. The warehouse can be crowded, hot, and the wait to check out can literally be an hour or more.
- Pack a lunch with plenty of cold drinks and candy to pass the time. There is one gas station in town, and one cafe, which is small and is cash only.
- Bathroom… you can use the bathroom in the Mattel outlet (a separate building from the warehouse sale).
- Bring a blanket to sit on.
- When you arrive you get a number and you can do whatever you like in the meanwhile. No need to stand in line.
- Definitely bring a doll… they may want to get acquainted with other dolls!
- How about a book to read? My daughter is reading Kaya’s books and I am starting Julie’s because, “Mom, it’s from your time in history!” #feelingancient
- There is ample room to play catch or throw a football while you wait.
So tomorrow morning we will pack lunch, stop at Dunkin Donuts, and hit the road. I have no idea what mayhem to expect on Day 2 of the sale. Hopefully a tad more sane than day 1 last year. I really hope to find Addy’s nightgown. My daughter will be looking for items for Saige and Julie. I will give you the full report!