Our weekly budget felt like it was under a little more pressure than usual this week. I forgot to budget for elementary school fees ($75.00) that are due next week. I recently heard Dave Ramsey say that budgeting isn’t so much of a ‘microwave’ thing… more like a ‘Crock-pot’ in that it takes a good bit of time to reach perfection. Even after so many years of budgeting we still have mix-ups. We also have a medical bill due in a few weeks so surplus cash will be diverted in that direction temporarily.
To prevent us from tapping into savings for these expenses we:
- Got busy and listed a large carpet remnant on Craigslist. I am glad someone can take advantage of it while it is still clean and new. + $15.00
- Listed several clothing items on eBay. I have to say I am surprised at the demand, especially for kids’ clothing, on eBay. The last kids item I sold went for $16.00, plus $4.00 shipping – which is kind of a head-scratcher considering it was not new.
- Planted more arugula – this is our third crop this summer. Also planted some broccolini which is a fall crop for us.
- Ate at home using ingredients we had on hand, including…. Summer Minestrone Soup! I am coming up with new places to put zucchini and kale in next week’s meal plan 🙂
- Made chocolate zucchini cake for a treat. Could not find a good price on chocolate chips so I made frosting instead – a trick a good friend taught me. This recipe is a keeper!
- Were vigilant about waiting for time-of-use-rate to kick in to charge devices and run dishwasher, washing machine, etc. Time of use rate saves us $200.00 a year.
- For some Saturday fun we went to a chalk art festival – free, and no temptation to bring the art home with you.
We were grateful to have some money left at the end of the week to put towards upcoming expenses. We had a Saturday night budget recap and determined we will go back to focusing on our emergency savings as well as holiday gifts in the coming weeks.